Sunday, November 9, 2014

Darkness to Light





Day 24: Transformed by Truth

We Christians hold the Bible as sacred. It is the cornerstone of our faith. It is the Word of God. And it has the supreme capacity to transform us to become more like Christ.

But I remember the years of my youth when my faith wavered so strongly to the point that I did not believe the Bible anymore. I doubted its historical accuracy and even its authenticity as coming from God himself. I was thinking it was pure literature – individual accounts of the disciples and therefore prone to errata. Eventually, I even concluded it was pure propaganda by the Roman Catholic Church to propagate its creed throughout history.

In that I know I have sinned against our mother Church, I sincerely admit I have sinned against God. But during those “dark years” I thought I knew better. Anyway, it is heartening to know that Billy Graham himself went through a similar period in his ministry. I am encouraged that my experience is a part of my spiritual growth.

It is crucial that we, as Christians, must first accept the Bible as the Word of God. If the truth were to transform us, we must hold to it as truth in the first place. It must be our supreme authority for our lives, not culture or tradition or emotion or reason. Yes, reason was my compass during those dark years. I thought I could reason my way in to salvation. Instead, I reasoned my way out of the faith that I was baptized into.

I remember my “breakout” from all the confusion when, so tired from my intellectual wanderings, I went down on my knees and asked God to step in. I told him it was becoming evident I could not find the truth via reason. I asked him to make himself known to me. I asked him for revelation.

So he did. And the rest is history.

Now I am before you brothers, writing all these reflections tempered by years of testing and forged in the crucible of doubts. The truth has set me free, and now I am committing myself to setting others free as well.

I cannot thank you so much Dear Lord, for the merciful grace you have extended this once-proud soul. You have set aside my rebellion and welcomed me back into your loving arms like a father would his wayward son. Your name be exalted to the highest O God! Help me Father to abide by your Word as I receive, read, research, remember, and reflect on it. Grant me the fortitude to make the study of your Word a daily habit so that I may grow in wisdom and become more like your Son, Jesus Christ. In your mighty name. AMEN…



No comments:

Post a Comment