Sunday, November 9, 2014

SHAPE





Day 31: Understanding Your Shape

Warren continues in this chapter with elaboration of his SHAPE acrostic specifically on one’s Abilities, Personality, and Experiences.

On abilities, he reminds me us that:

1.   all our abilities come from God;
2.   every ability can be used for God’s glory; and
3.   what we are able to do, God wants us to do.

On personality, he reminds us of our uniqueness down to the molecular level. Indeed, I was struck when he points out that there are far less number of particles in the universe than there are possibilities of our DNA. Particularly insightful was when he affirms the joy we could feel when we minister in a manner consistent with our personality. It feels good to do what God made us to do.

On the variety of experiences we go through in life, Warren usefully enumerates a least 6 kinds: family experiences, educational, vocational, spiritual, ministry, and painful experiences. The last one, he says, God uses the most to prepare us for ministry. I agree. I have experienced this first-hand so many times. Truly, God never wastes a hurt!  I am convinced that my greatest ministry will most likely come out of your greatest hurt. Even now, I feel I am most effective sharing God to my friends and acquaintances when I share with them how God came to my rescue during my painful experiences.

Nevertheless, I am reminded also that in sharing these experiences I must honestly admit my faults, failures, and fears. This is to demonstrate how God’s grace helped us in our weakness. It would be more effective than bragging about our strengths. St. Paul is my model here as he has openly admitted to some weaknesses in his epistles.

In this chapter I have learned that I can be most effective when I use my spiritual gifts and abilities in the area of my heart’s desire, and in a way that best expresses my personality and experiences.  The Question to Consider begs me to re-consider my ability in writing and my contemplative nature. Recently, I have been wont to shun this ability of mine insofar as it does not really translate to economic returns as far as the family coffer is concerned. Now, I am reminded that God has given me this ability to serve his purpose and I am a fool to loathe his blessing. I could probably offer my writing ability to my church as a part of my ministry. It is a talent I must not hide under ground but must share and use to serve God’s purposes here on earth.






No comments:

Post a Comment