Sunday, November 9, 2014

Temporary only




Day 6: Life Is a Temporary Assignment

I have often been amused by people on the throes of death. For example, a patient with stage 4 cancer waiting for the end. Many of them who have accepted their fate goes through some transformation. There is always that “peace” in them.

What if we wake up one day staring at the same imminence? What if the doctor tells us we have but a month, or a week, or even a day to live? I am certain our perspective of life and things will change all too sudden. But it will be abrupt and it will be too hard for us.

But what if we know from the very start or just early on that this world is not our home and our lives is but a prelude to a new home and a new life that is even eternal? I am sure we will live differently and it will be easy for us to accept pain, sadness and failures in our present lives.

I think this knowledge, this particular wisdom is the blessing of a Christian. We know by faith – we believe that heaven is our real home and that this life is just a temporary assignment. That in the end we will be living with God in all His glory for all eternity.

But still how often we, as Christians, forget this. I forget this every now and then. And so I sin. And so I backslide.

This knowledge that I still have with me some weaknesses serves as my inspiration to seek out greater and more active participation in God’s work. I believe that if I go out of myself and be with kindred souls (Christians and servants all), I will have more grace to carry on with life as a test and a trust.


I will die one day. That I am sure. But if I were to die one day, I’d like to have the confidence that I have a home there in heaven waiting for me and that God will welcome me joyfully. But a home would be much happier if there will be more people in it. I guess that’s the reason why I wish to minister to family, friends and the world out there. So they will also be joining me there in our new village in heaven. And how fun that would be. Forever!


No comments:

Post a Comment