Sunday, November 9, 2014

Alpha





Day 1: It All Starts with God

The philosopher B. Russel’s quip got my attention at once. Not only did I relate with what he said about life’s purpose being meaningless unless one assumes a God, I actually felt from where he was talking. I was an atheist myself.

Yes, I was an atheist at one period in my life. Make no mistake: I was born and raised a Catholic. But somehow the twists and turns of life – maybe the harsh rites of childhood, the confusion of my youth, and the angst of early adulthood got into me in a way that I was not able to cope.

But the Lord, in His overflowing mercy, brought me back to grace. The same rites, confusion, and angst brought me back home like the Prodigal Son. The records of those years when He called me back may seem spotty to my memory now, but I will never forget the first blasts of epiphany. Especially so that one of the Aerosmiths’ song was the hit then. A line says: “It’s amazing when in the wink of an eye, I finally see the Light.”

I saw that Light, and though I struggled to carry that Light since then and until now, the Light never left me. Little by little, I felt the burning desire to shine that Light to others who are still in the dark as I used to be.

Secondly, the first line of the PDL is shocking even to me. “It’s not about you.” To read or hear that one is to turn one’s conception of reality on its head. Or on anybody’s head for that matter. And the follow-up is as shocking: that we were born by and for His purpose.

Fast-forward many years later, now I have my own family and despite all my various concerns in work, I still feel a deep void. Like something remains to be done. The same grace that brought me the light of day enlightened me that the void can only be filled by God.

Indeed, as for me – now and forever – life (itself) IS meaningless without God.




No comments:

Post a Comment